The PROMAGEN Study
A randomised controlled study shows supplementation of overweight and obese adults with lactobacilli and bifidobacteria reduces bodyweight and improves well-being
• The study was carried out in Sofia, Bulgaria.
• 220 overweight and obese adults aged 30-65 (BMI 25-34.9, waist circumference >89cm for women or >100cm for men) were divided into two groups.
• One group received the 50 billion Lab4P probiotic product (Lab4 consortium plus Lactobacillus plantarum CUL66) daily for 6 months whilst the second group took a placebo.
• The participants were asked to maintain their normal diet and lifestyle throughout the study.
• Changes in body weight, BMI, waist circumference, the incidence of upper respiratory tract infections (URTI) and self-perceived quality of life from the start of the study to 6 months were assessed.
Body weight, BMI and Waist Circumference
• Compared to placebo, Lab4P probiotic supplementation resulted in significant weight loss in:
– The total population (difference: -1.3kg, ****P< 0.0001)
– The overweight (BMI 25 to 29.9) participants (difference: -1.4kg, ****P< 0.0001)
– Over 50 year olds (difference: -1.76kg, ***P< 0.001)
– Hypercholesteraemic participants (difference: -2.1kg, ****P< 0.0001,
• Significant probiotic-mediated reductions in BMI, waist circumference and waist-to-height ratio were also observed in each of the above populations.
• Greater rates of weight loss were observed in the overweight participants
(-1.9%, ****P< 0.0001) compared to the obese (-1.2%, *P< 0.05) and in women (-1.6%, ***P< 0.001) compared to men (-1.4%, ****P< 0.0001).
Fig 1: Body weight loss
Incidence rate of URTI symptoms
• Significant 40% reduction in the incidence of total URTI symptoms in the Lab4P group compared to placebo (****P< 0.0001, Figure 2).
The URTI symptoms were defined as sneezing, cough, sore throat, runny nose and blocked nose).
• 32% significant reduction in the incidence of headache in the Lab4P group compared to placebo (****P< 0.0001, Figure 3).
Fig 2: URTI symptoms
Fig 3: Headaches
Quality of Life assessment at 3 months
• 6.3% significant improvement in General Wellness scores at 3 months
(**P< 0.01) and 5.6% at 6 months (*P< 0.05) in the group supplemented with Lab4P probiotics compared to placebo.
• Significant improvements in scores of State of Health (5.8%, *P< 0.05), State of Energy (5.5%, *P< 0.05) and State of Mood (5.1%,*P< 0.05) were observed at 3 months (Figure 4).
Fig 4: Quality of life
Michael DR et al.
A randomised controlled study shows supplementation of overweight and obese adults with lactobacilli and bifidobacteria reduces bodyweight and improves well-being.
Scientific Reports 2020; 10(1): 4183